Monday, January 2, 2012

Book Review: Walking from East to West by Ravi Zacharias

One of my goals for 2012 is to read 52 books.  I have been inspired by several people from the Harbor who undertook the same project for 2011, and I think it will be a great way to expand my reading for this year.

My first book of the year was Walking from East to West by Ravi Zacharias.  He is a noted apologist and evangelist who has written many books and traveled the world speaking to diverse audiences about the gospel of Christ.  This book was his autobiography, and it was a captivating read.

Zacharias was born and raised in India, and he places great importance on his humble beginnings.  Though outwardly it seemed he had much going for him, he struggled throughout his teen years to find meaning in life.  Unable to find purpose in anything, he attempted suicide.  It was by the grace of God that he survived and afterwards he committed his life to Christ.  This was the turning point in his life, and though not everything was perfect afterwards, Zacharias was able to see that God alone is the one who gives meaning to our lives.  He goes on to tell how God used him in ministry opportunities that took him around the globe.

What I appreciated most about Zacharias' story is that he didn't have it all together all the time, but God was still able to use him for His glory.  Because of the gifts Ravi possesses, many people have come to know the Lord.  This gives me hope, because there are times when I feel completely useless for God.  This book was a reminder to me that the Lord uses the weak and foolish to accomplish his purposes on this earth.

One of the undercurrents of the book was the idea that God is in the shadows.  This seemed to be a theme in Zacharias' life as well as my own.  Even when we have no idea what God's plan is, or why certain things happen in our lives, God is there with us through it all.  Even when we think he has forsaken us or abandoned us, He is there.

For anyone who has benefited from Ravi Zacharias' work, this book is a great pick.  I think it's always fascinating to learn more about people who have helped shape my own theology, and Zacharias' story was no exception!

No comments:

Post a Comment