Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Broken Foot

Christians often talk about being the "hands and feet" of Christ on earth.  This means that as Christ's followers he uses us to accomplish his purposes in this life before we enter into eternity.  In 1 Corinthians 12 Paul talks about the body of Christ, which is the church.  Verses 12-13 say, "The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and through all its parts are many, they form one body.  So it is with Christ.  For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body-- whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free --and we were all give the one Spirit to drink."


Clearly God created us with different gifts that we bring to the table, and different ways that we can serve in the church and beyond.  I think though, we can become so caught up in these verses, and for me anyway, I can start obsessing over what spiritual gifts I have and how I can specifically do God's will in my life.  It's a prayer request I hear from others as well so I know it's not just me.

John 14:12 says, "I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing.  He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father."  To be quite honest, sometimes this stresses me out.  While it never ceases to amaze me that the God of the universe would use puny little humans to bring about His plans on earth, it can seem like quite a tall order.  I worry a lot that I'm not doing enough for Christ and I'm not being a living example of Him to other people.  I worry that I'm not allowing God to use me to the fullest to bring him glory.  If we are the hands and feet of Christ, sometimes I think I'm the broken foot.

But it is here that I must stop and really think about what the Word of God says.  In Matthew 22 Jesus is asked what the greatest commandment is.  His reply is this, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.  This is the first and greatest commandment.  And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'  And all the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."  The most important thing we do is love God.  The focus here is not on doing but on being;  being obedient to God and being humble about our need for His grace.  When we love God with all we are, the doing of good works naturally flows out of that love.

I think we need to remember is the importance of just being who God wants us to be.  Being open to his leading and seeking his face in prayer and study of His word will make clearer how you can specifically serve Him in a physical or practical way.  But we if we are so busy being doers, we will fail to be people who draw ever closer to the Lord.  God desires us to be faithful followers of Christ, and when we are obedient in loving God with our hearts, minds, and souls, we will be obedient in all things God has for us.  When we are the people God created us to be, we won't be broken feet, because God will use us to accomplish His great purposes on this earth!  

No comments:

Post a Comment