Friday, January 6, 2012

Book Review: The Cat Who Came for Christmas by Cleveland Amory

This book was recommended to me by Mrs. Mom, and as our taste in books is very similar I had a feeling I would enjoy this one, and enjoy it I did!  For my second book of 2012 I was looking for a fun novel, and this was just the book I needed.

Cleveland Amory is an animal rights activists and has worked for many years in New York not only for a large organization but also as an animal rescuer.  One cold Christmas Eve he rescued a scrawny, hungry, and terrified cat from the alleyways of the city.  This book is the story of their life together the first year after the rescue.  While it might not sound like much, the way Amory weaves the tale is, in a word, hilarious.

Perhaps this is a book only those who are, as he puts it, "cat-owned" can appreciate, but I would recommend it to anyone who loves animals.  As one who had cats up until I left for college, I could relate to many of the tales in this book.  What made it such an enjoyable read was how he wrote about the dialogs he would have with his cat, Polar Bear.  Apparently Polar Bear is quite the opinionated cat and could communicate as much through non-verbal cues as we do through speaking.  Amory covers everything from naming his cat to traveling to dealing with other animals who occasionally made an appearance in the small city apartment and many other cat-related subjects.

Amory not only details life as one who is "cat-owned" but also describes some of the work he has done as an animal advocate.  He founded Fund for the Animals, an organization that has been championing the rights for animals since 1967.  They have fought battles against whaling, sealing, and many others throughout the past five decades, and continue to do so today.

The Cat Who Came for Christmas was a great read, and I would recommend it to anyone looking to read a fun, lighthearted story of the joy of having a cat!

No comments:

Post a Comment