Sunday, January 15, 2012

A Self Taught Lesson

Today I had the pleasure of teaching in the kids' ministry department for the 2-4 year olds at church.  I have a soft spot for toddlers and preschoolers after my years of working as a storyteller for the Okinawa libraries.  Working again with this age group brings back many good memories!

Our lesson this morning focused on the passage in scripture where Jesus is teaching and some children try to come close to him.  The disciples are indignant and try to shoo away the kids but Jesus rebukes the disciples saying, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these." (Mark 10:13)  It's a beautiful picture of God's love for his children, and it was a fun lesson to teach this morning. What could be better than teaching a child about how much they are loved by Jesus?


The kids weren't the only ones learning this morning.  This same lesson of God's love is one that I need to learn over and over again.  I'm not immune to thinking that God can't possibly love someone like me.  I am ever in need of grace and can't seem to get it right most of the time, and this spawns the fear of God removing his presence from me.  I can think of nothing more terrifying.  But the fact remains that God does love me despite, well, me.  I can rest in his grace and know that there is nothing I do to earn his love; God loves us freely because we are his creation and we are made in his image.  He loves us with an unending, knows-no-bounds kind of love.

I went back to my favorite verse in Zephaniah which says, "The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save.  He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."  It's hard to imagine that God sings over me with his love, but it's true.  And He is singing over you as well!

This was a lesson I needed to learn today, and will probably continue to need throughout my life.  So once again I give thanks to God for the opportunity to teach children, because it reminds me that I too am a child of God and am loved deeply by Him.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment