Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A View of Mpulungu


Yesterday afternoon we ventured into town for the first time to do some shopping and to drop someone off at the bus station.  Though we were just there Monday morning, we didn’t get to take any pictures, and we were so tired that we didn’t really absorb much of the atmosphere anyway. 

The town of Mpulungu is just as I expected it would be.  It is very hot (though not as hot as it will be in a few weeks!) and dusty.  People are always milling about no matter what time it is.  We got off the bus the other day at 6AM, and you would have though it was the middle of the afternoon based on the number of people out and about. 

One somewhat exciting thing here is that there are many of the same cars we had in Okinawa.  I see Spacios driving all over the place, which is the car I had in Japan.  Patrick laughs at me because I’m always talking about the cars here.  I guess they make me nostalgic. 

The market was pretty exciting, and it seems like you can buy pretty much anything you want, though items look rather used when you buy them.  Because everything is hot and dusty, things always seem a bit dirty.  It will be hard for me to get used to that since I’m normally such a neat freak!
See the Spacio in the background?


I do love a good bit of irony...
And this is just funny...

No comments:

Post a Comment