Thursday, July 26, 2012

Rebuilding the Ruins

Lately I've been having a hard time being productive.  I think having too much free time actually makes me accomplish less.  I might get things done around the house, but I tend to spend less time with God.  When I have all day to get into the Word, it's really easy to neglect it altogether.  Does this ever happen to you?  Surely I'm not alone here.

The other day I read through the book of Haggai, and it was truly as if God was speaking directly to my heart about some things.  Haggai was a prophet to the nation of Judah after the remnant had returned from the Babylonian captivity.  His prophetic purpose was to encourage the nation to rebuild the temple that had been destroyed decades earlier.  Apparently the Jews were finding it hard to get motivated too, because they weren't getting the job done.  They were, however, focusing more and more of their time on things that shouldn't have been a priority at the time.

Haggai 1:9 says, "You expected much, but see, it turned out to be little.  What you brought home, I blew away.  Why?" declares the Lord Almighty.  "Because of my house, which remains a ruin, while each of you is busy with his own house."


In the Old Testament the temple was God's dwelling place.  Of course, no building built by human hands could ever contain all of God, but the temple was where God met with the people, and where his presence was felt.  Since the coming of the Messiah, things have changed.  Those who have believed Christ for the redemption of sins have the Holy Spirit dwelling within them.  The temple is no longer a building, but our very hearts.

It might be easy to skim over this verse and say it's only applicable to the Old Testament Jews, but I think we would be wrong to think that.  When we neglect our relationship with God it is as if the temple of our hearts is in ruins.  It is easy for us to focus on day-to-day matters of life than on spiritual matters.  How often do we expect God to do great things in and through us, and show himself to us, but we aren't committed to actually spending the time required for these things to happen?  This has been true of my life on more occasions than I care to admit.  I'm learning (over and over) that if I expect much from God, it will turn out to be little if I don't allow myself to be used by Him, or if I'm not willing to be obedient to His will.

The application from this verse can be very difficult, because it's all too easy to swing the other direction and become legalistic.  Bible study and prayer can become just another line on my to-do list, and I can start feeling pretty good about myself when I do it everyday.  But that's not the point.  Rebuilding the ruined temple is more than just showing up everyday.  It's about being intentional and teachable.  I can't just flop down on the couch with my Bible in my lap and expect any transformation to occur.  I have to really be present with God for him to work in my heart.  I have to be committed to praying that my heart would be open to God, even if that means learning the difficult lessons that he has for me.

Haggai continues with words of encouragement in 2:4-5 saying, "'Be strong, all you people of the land,' declared the Lord, 'and work.  For I am with you,' declares the Lord Almighty.  'This is what I convented with you when you came out of Egypt.  And my Spirit remains among you.  Do not fear.'"  Praise the Lord that even when we fail, even when the temple of our hearts lies in ruins, he never leaves us.  He never stops loving us and calling us closer to him.  My prayer is that each day we would take steps closer to rebuilding our relationship with him and learning to trust him in all things.

1 comment:

  1. I think you've been hearing a
    Ittle about our time at Derry Street UMC in Harrisburg on tour. Barbara Vayo, a great woman of God who is so much more than the secretary her job title says, shared that text with me as we prepared to go there on tour. It is a very convicting passage!

    ReplyDelete