Monday, July 9, 2012

Getting Down to the Business of Listening

I love reading about the disciple Peter.  I guess it's because we seem to hear quite a bit about him throughout the gospels, and he's just so...human.  I've always thought of Peter has having foot-in-mouth disease since he usually has his foot firmly planted in his mouth.  There are several instances where his mouth seems to work faster than his brain, and Jesus normally calls him out on it.  I think I like Peter because I can relate to him.  There have been more times than I can count that ridiculous things have flown out of my mouth before I could turn the filter on.  Peter and I seem to be kindred spirits.
This morning I was reading about the transfiguration in Matthew 17.  (This is maybe the best duh-moment for Peter in the entire book.)  Jesus had taken Peter, James, and John up on the mountain and was transfigured before them.  Scripture says, "His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light.  Just then there appeared before them Moses, and Elijah, talking with Jesus." One question I want to ask when I get to heaven is what in the world they were talking about.  But I digress...

Here comes my favorite part.  You would think that in a moment like this when Christ's glory is on display you would be at a loss for words.  But not Peter.  Oh no, Peter never seems to be at a loss for words.  "Peter said to Jesus, 'Lord, it is good for us to be here.  If you wish, I will put up three shelters--one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.'"  I wonder if Peter missed out on something in this moment because he was so busy talking--and planning his latest project.  Now, I don't think what he was aiming at was wrong.  I think Peter wanted to honor Jesus by building the shelters, but don't you think his timing was a bit off?  Perhaps he failed to think that just now wasn't the time to get down to work building a shelter.  Apparently God thought so too...

"While he was still speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them, and a voice from the cloud said, 'This is my Son, who I love; with him I am well pleased.  Listen to him!'"  I love this divine interruption, because it puts Peter in his place and reminds him just who it is he's dealing with.  I doubt God was angry with Peter's attempt to serve him, but he wanted something else.  Rather than seeing Peter so busy talking and doing God wanted him to listen.  Something we could all learn to do better no doubt.


I wonder just how often it is that I miss out on something God is trying to say to me because I'm too busy running my mouth.  Sometimes I hate silence so rather than waiting and listening for God, I rush to fill it with my own voice.  It is through verses like these though that I God teaches me to have a patient heart.  Perhaps if we all stopped talking and spent more time listening we would realize that God really does have something incredible to say to us!  I certainly don't want to miss it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment