Friday, August 5, 2011

Let Your Light Shine

Today has been an awesome day.  I had a job interview for a teaching assistant position at Beaufort Elementary School, and shortly afterwards I was offered the job.  I spent a lot of time preparing for the interview, and praying about the job.  I had given over the whole thing to the Lord, trusting that if it was his will then it would all work out.  While praying I reflected on the fact that God is sovereign even over job interviews.  I was able to go into it with a wonderful sense of peace.

A verse that was on my heart for the last few days was Matthew 10:32-33 which says, "Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven.  But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before the Father in heaven."  Now, I know that you wouldn't normally go into a job interview talking about your faith, but that's what I felt God nudging me to do.  So as the principal asked me about myself my first words were explaining that I'm a Christian, and I love the Lord.  I told them how I felt that God has blessed me with a desire and a gift for working with children, and that's why I'm pursuing a teaching career.  When they asked where I see myself in five years I told them about our longing to do missions work overseas and my goal to lift children out of poverty through education.  It was a liberating moment getting to share my faith with these total strangers, but as my future employers I felt that it was necessary for them to know what (or should I say Who) it is that propels my life.

I know that I had little to do with getting this position.  I think what impressed them was the Light they saw in me that comes from knowing Jesus.  In John 8:12 Jesus says, "I am the light of the world.  Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."  Christ gives us this light and allows us to reflect it in the world as we see in Matthew 5:14-16, "You are the light of the world.  A city on a hill cannot be hidden.  Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl.  Instead they put it on a stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.  In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."  Christians are sort of like moons aren't we?  God is the sun and when we know Him, His light shines upon us and we reflect that light in the world.  "The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world."  (John 1:9)  Praise God for light that shines in the darkness!

No comments:

Post a Comment