Sunday, August 28, 2011

Book Review: "32 Third Graders and One Class Bunny" by Philip Done

I can say without a doubt that reading this book changed my life.  This is the book that made me want to be a teacher.  It is one that I read about twice a year and never tire of it.  Philip Done is a third grade teacher, and is the winner of the Schwab Foundation Distinguished Teacher Award, an achievement he certainly deserves.  In this little book he tells story after story of the antics of his class of 32 students (and one bunny).  It is one of the funniest books I've ever read, and many chapters had me in tears.  From getting his tie stuck in the laminator, to searching for an escaped snake, Philip has seen it all in his many years of teaching.  He brings the reader in to the world of education, and helps us remember what it was like to be students ourselves.  The simplicity of his writing style and the charm of the stories themselves make this a treasured book in my library.  Philip has a way of putting on paper what so many teachers probably wish they could!  On a daily basis we experience so many wonderful teacher moments, but usually fail to write them down.  I think it is the shared experiences between teachers that make this such a precious book.  I would, without hesitation, recommend "32 Third Graders" to anyone in need of some lighthearted reading and a hearty dose of laughter!    

No comments:

Post a Comment