Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Art of Making Sweet Tea

Although I'm not in the habit of posting recipes in my blog, I figured it's appropriate given the name of my site. Now that I live in the deep south I see myself as a southern belle in training.  Down here sweet tea is a big deal so naturally, I must perfect the art of making it.  In previous posts I've written about making mint tea with Mrs. Mom.  Before we moved down to South Carolina she gave me my very own mint plant, which is miraculously still alive despite the heat.  Who knew that mint could stay green in desert-like temperatures?

This past weekend while the Stewards were here, Mom and I spent awhile experimenting with our tea recipe.  Somewhat accidentally, we stumbled upon one that is worth sharing, so I hope you like it! Rather than adding regular sugar, this recipe requires simple syrup, the way real southern tea is made.  So without further ado....


The necessary ingredients
Sweet Mint Tea
1.  Start the simple syrup first.  Boil 1/4 cup of water and 1/2 cup of sugar.  Whisk until sugar is dissolved then remove from heat.  Add mint leaves and stir.
2.  For the tea, boil 4 cups of water and steep 4 black tea bags.  Add a pinch of baking soda to reduce bitterness in the tea.  Do Not squeeze the tea bags!
3.  Add 2 cups of cold water and the simple syrup to the tea and stir well.  You'll end up with about 6 cups of tea.
4.  Pour over ice.
5.  Enjoy.

Tea tastes better with friends (and a porch if you can swing it)

No comments:

Post a Comment