Wednesday, August 3, 2011

For where two or three are gathered...

Bible study girls in Okinawa
One of the most exciting developments in my life is that I have started a women's Bible study.  What I miss most about Okinawa is the fellowship with other women who share my love for Jesus.  As soon as we set foot on American soil, finding a group of like-minded girls was one of my top priorities.  Unfortunately, it's been difficult to meet new people, especially since I'm not working yet.  In Okinawa it was always so easy to strike up new friendships, but here I've had to work a little harder at it.

We were blessed a few weeks ago to meet our neighbors, Ian and Carolyn, who are also followers of Christ.  They told us about their church, Lowcountry Community Church, where we've been attending for several weeks.  I told Carolyn about my interest in starting a women's group and she was on board right away.  She called a few other friends who are interested, and now we've got a group together!  I'm excited to share my spiritual walk with these new friends and watch as the group grows together in our love for Christ.

There is something powerful about Christian fellowship that doesn't happen in just any group of friends.  Understand that when I say Christian fellowship I don't just mean believers who get together to socialize.  True fellowship happens when followers of Christ come together and share their spiritual lives with one another, pray together, and study God's Word together.  Jesus said, "For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them." (Matthew 18:20)  I've been blessed to witness this for myself in many small groups who come together in Christ's name.  The Holy Spirit is present in a very real way when we come together in fellowship.

Not surprisingly, the Lord knows that our need for fellowship is great.  That's why we are commanded in scripture to continue to meet with one another.  Hebrews 10:23-25 says, "Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.  And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.  Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another- and all the more as you see the Day approaching."  I love the idea that as Christians we can spur on one another in faith.  We've all had times of doubt or darkness in our lives, and sometimes it's the word or support of a fellow believer that helps get us into the Light once again.  Without fellowship we run the risk of missing out on many blessings that God has for us.  I would encourage you all to be involved in a small group and experience the presence of Christ in a whole new way!   

No comments:

Post a Comment