Sunday, July 10, 2011

A Day Trip to Hilton Head

I remember some of my favorite vacations as a child on Hilton Head Island, and now one of the best parts of living in Beaufort is HHI is only an hour away!  Yesterday Patrick and I drove down to visit the island and spend the day enjoying all there was to do there.  The best part of Hilton Head is the nearly 50 miles of bike paths, so naturally we had to rent bikes and check them out.  Patrick estimates that we biked about 15 miles and according to my sore legs that's probably pretty accurate.  The weather was perfect for biking; not too hot but still sunny enough to get a tan.  (How was it I came from a tropical island this pasty??)

We also spent some time on the very crowded beaches.  Patrick loves to people watch and there was plenty to see since it seemed that just about everyone within a 100 mile radius was hanging out at the same beach. I enjoyed watching the waves there too.  In Okinawa at the beach we used to go to, there were practically no waves at all, so this was a nice change.

During our bike ride we came across a mini golf course so we stopped to play a round.  The place is run by Christians, and my favorite part was that at each hole there was a verse of Scripture on a plaque.  It's encouraging to see God glorified even on the golf course!


Overall it was great to get out and experience a little more of South Carolina.  Lately we've been cooped up in our mostly empty house, which eventually was starting to drive me crazy.  We still don't have either of our shipments from Okinawa, and I'm starting to think they will never show up.  I've been getting a little ansty since I'm such a nest builder, but have nothing with which to build our nest!!  I've been praying for contentment in this area and God is showing me that He alone is enough to sustain us, not all our "stuff."  I have a feeling that I'll look back on this time and long for the simplicity of it.  With fewer distractions it's easier to spend more time in Bible study and prayer.  So for now, I will enjoy what God has given us: the gift of time!

No comments:

Post a Comment