Sunday, December 25, 2011

In the Arms of the Red Army

The Red Army during the Christmas concert
No not the Russian communists.  The Red Army was the nickname given to the choir at the church where I grew up, since they wear red robes and it's a huge choir.  When they come marching down the aisles in church it does sort of give the effect of being infiltrated by an army.

I grew up in the same church pretty much my entire life, and I can't remember a time when my mom wasn't part of the Red Army.  Some of my earliest church memories are sitting in the front two pews surrounded by choir members in their flowing red robes.  It always felt safe there.  I grew up fortunate enough to be part of the music program at church and was constantly surrounded by supportive people in the choir.  Throughout middle and high school I was ever grateful to have such an incredible group of people that were encouraging and loving.  There were many smiling faces and hugs; a wonderful environment to grow up in.

Patrick and I made it back to Louisville in time for the annual Christmas concert (always a big deal at our church.)  It is always such a worshipful experience and is a good reminder of what Christmas is all about. There are many new faces in the choir, but it's always fun to visit with friends who are still there.

Now that we're back in the States (and moving back to Louisville in six months) I'm looking forward to reconnecting with many friends from choir.  God has blessed me with some wonderful friendships, and I hope I can give back to them what they have given to me!  So to everyone who has been such an encouragement to me for so long, thank you for blessing me so abundantly!

No comments:

Post a Comment