Friday, December 2, 2011

The Greatest Love Story

I finished my reading through Isaiah this week, and it was quite a ride.  This book has always been somewhat intimidating to me since it is so long and often has difficult to understand prophecies.  However, reading straight through with the help of a Warren Wiersbe's commentary, I have a newfound appreciation for what Isaiah has to say to us today.

The overall story of Isaiah is really the story of God's love for his people even though they turned their backs on him.  It is about God rescuing his children even in the midst of their sin.  Though Isaiah prophesied about the destruction of Judah and the Babylonian captivity, within these pages we have a beautiful picture of the Messiah.  Even among the shame and ruin that sin brings to our lives, God is still with us.  He still wants to redeem us from our current state of rebellion and make us right with him again.  Isaiah 1:18 says, "'Come now, let us reason together,' says the Lord.  'Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool.'"  

Isaiah prophesied during a turbulent time in Israel's history.  The nation was vulnerable and sought refuge from surrounding countries.  God had warned the people to trust in him alone and that destruction would follow if they were to look to other nations for their strength rather than the Lord.  God's punishment of Judah was a way of bringing them back into obedience to Him.  God often allows us to suffer consequences of our own sin as a means of bringing us back to Him and showing us his great love for us. Hebrews 12:6 reminds us, "The Lord disciplines those he loves and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son."  Just as a parent who loves his child disciplines them, so too does God discipline his children whom he loves.

As I read through this book I realized yet again that God is truly in control over everything that happens.  There are no accidents; everything is orchestrated according to God's plan.  God reminds us that he alone brings salvation and hope.  "'You are my witnesses' declares the Lord, 'and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he.  Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me.  I, even I, am the Lord, and apart from me there is no savior.  I have revealed and saved and proclaimed- I, and not some foreign god among you.  You are my witnesses,' declares the Lord, 'that I am God.  Yes, and from ancient days I am he.  No one can deliver out of my hand.  When I act, who can reverse it?'" (Isaiah 43:10-13).

My favorite portions of Isaiah were the prophecies about Christ.  It was with great hope and anticipation that the nation of Israel looked forward to the birth of their savior.  The words of Isaiah give a wonderful picture of the peace of Christ.  Isaiah 53:4-6 tells us, "Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted,  but he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed.  We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all."


Some days it may seem like God is far away, but remember that He is always near.  He might be calling you to obedience through discipline, but he does so because he loves you.  You are part of God's love story, and he will pursue you to the ends of the earth for you to know it. "Then you will call, and the Lord will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I." (58:9)

No comments:

Post a Comment