Saturday, September 3, 2011

Sure of What We Hope For

I'm currently going through a Beth Moore study on the fruit of the spirit, and this week's focus was on faith.  Faith is not so much an action as it is a response to God's faithfulness.  Beth Moore describes God's faithfulness as his believability.  In his Word he proves himself faithful again and again, as he does in our lives today.  I reflected for awhile on ways that God shows himself as believable to me.  One thing I thought of was how when I pray according to God's will, my prayers are always answered, though not always in ways I expect.  Sometimes the answer is yes, sometimes no, and sometimes wait.  Learning to wait on the Lord has shown me his incredible faithfulness, because no matter what the circumstances, he always comes through.

Hebrews 11:1 says, "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."  Sometimes it's difficult to put our whole trust in the Lord since there is so much about him that we do not (and cannot) understand.  Being a Christian requires a huge leap of faith, but I have found that after that initial plunge, God is gracious to increase our faith.  There is a story in Mark 9 where a man brings his son to Jesus to be healed of demon possession.  The man cries out to Jesus, "I do believe, help my unbelief!"  I find myself crying out to Jesus in a similar fashion almost everyday.  "Strengthen my faith so that everyday I will depend on you more."

So why does walking with the Lord require faith at all?  I think the answer lies in Isaiah 55:8 which says, "'For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,' declares the Lord.  "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.'"  There is no way we could ever comprehend the magnitude and majesty of God Almighty.  Our puny little brains cannot begin to fathom all that he is.  We can, however, rest in the promise of Romans 8:28 that, "In all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."  Our God is faithful to fulfill his promises, because he loves us.  We can count on that no matter what.  

So here's my next question: do you base your faith on what God does or who he is?  A faith that is based solely on tangible evidence will be a roller coaster ride with the peaks being at times when God is most visible and quickly descending at times God seems more distant.  Again, remember Isaiah 55, God's ways are not our ways and we cannot understand everything about the way he works in our lives.  On the flip side, faith based on who God is will never waiver because God doesn't change.  Hebrews 13:8 reminds us that, "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."  I'm so thankful that I serve a God who is steadfast and solid.  When everything else about this life on earth is like sinking sand, my Lord is a firm foundation.  I pray that you would know the faithfulness of God in your own life today!

No comments:

Post a Comment