Monday, September 5, 2011

Stranger in a Strange Land

Do you ever get the feeling that you were born in the wrong era?  This is an almost daily realization for me.  Since coming back to the United States I've felt bombarded by and overwhelmed with the rampant materialism of our country.  I'm surrounded by technology that I don't always think is actually bettering our culture, and when I see people walking around texting on their cell phones it makes me long for the days of eye contact and true engagement with other people.  No one looks you in the face anymore.  They're too preoccupied with the glowing rectangle in their hands.  What a sad commentary on the state of our society. I'm not anti-technology or anything, but I think we are missing vital opportunities to engage with our culture and develop meaningful relationships.  Don't you get the idea that most of your "friends" on facebook aren't really your true friends at all?  I think there is something to be said for using technology to enhance communications and the like, but our culture has taken it too far.

In recent conversations with Mrs. Mom she has said she thinks I was born in the wrong century; that I belong in a simpler time.  I must say I agree with her.  The more I thought about this the more I realized that it's not just a matter of feeling like I don't belong in my time period, but that I don't belong here at all.  I (and all believers) were created for a place much different than this earth.

I've been reading a lot of Hebrews lately and right in the middle of chapter 11 it explains this longing to be elsewhere.  This chapter describes the faithfulness of many men and women of the faith.  Then verses 13-16 say, "All these people were still living by faith when they died.  They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance.  And they admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth.  People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own.  If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return.  Instead, they were longing for a better country-a heavenly one.  Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them."

Do you see?  We were created for better things than this world has to offer.  We were created for a heavenly country where we will dwell with Jesus Christ for eternity.  This verse gives me hope that it's not wrong to feel out of place in this world, because I was created with a longing for heaven.  God is faithful, and he has prepared a place for us.  A place where we will feel that sense of belonging that we long for on earth.  A place where we will be in his presence for all time.  Praise God!

No comments:

Post a Comment