Sunday, September 18, 2011

Book Review: Slightly Bad Girls of the Bible by Liz Curtis Higgs

Liz Curtis Higgs has written an excellent series on the "bad girls" of the Bible, and this one was just as enjoyable as the others I've read.  It's easy for us to assume that all men and women of the Bible were perfect, always faithful followers of God.  We couldn't be more wrong!  Many of the women in the Bible were flawed, but despite their imperfections God used them to bring about his good purposes.

Slightly Bad Girls of the Bible tells the stories of Sarah, Hagar, Rebecca, Rachel and Leah.  To keep us from thinking that the issues these women faced were unique to their time period, Liz writes a modern day version of each story.  She then dissects the scripture where we find these women, and the insight she offers is well researched and Biblically-based.  After reading this book these five women seem more real to me; they seem like women I know.

This book is an excellent reminder of the fact that God uses even the broken things of this world to bring him glory.  He uses the imperfect to honor his perfection.  While each of the women in these pages struggled in her relationship to God, ultimately their hearts were turned to Him, and their desires were for his goodness.  At some point we all need the encouragement that their stories offer.  We have all fallen short of the glory of God, but we can praise Him for he desires to redeem us and bring us to righteousness through Christ!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Beth! Thanks for the book review. I remember you introducing these books to me. I LOVE them. I think I'll be heading to the library this week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashley! I hope you like this one! In some ways I liked it even better than the original since the stories are all kind of intertwined. Let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete