Friday, August 23, 2013

A Word of Encouragement

My dad once asked me how it is God speaks to me.  He was actually asking it sarcastically since, in his mind, it's ridiculous to think that God is truly concerned with us personally.  But the longer I walk with Christ the more ways I discover that God reveals himself to me whether it's through reading scripture, speaking with friends, or during times of worship.

As I wrote in my last post I've been experiencing some discouragement about our future plans for missions.  I think a lot of it stems from feeling so settled here in Louisville, and really loving where God has placed us currently.  The thought of giving it all up is, well, unsettling.  It's easy for me to forget the grander plan God has for us when I allow myself to dwell on all the people and things we'll be leaving behind.  So last week I was being completely honest with myself and with Patrick when I said that there is (at present) only a small part of me that even wants to go back overseas.  As hard as it is to write it and admit it, I think it's important for you to know that the decision to obey God is usually not an easy one, and is one that I still struggle with.  (So if you're in that same boat, you're not alone!)

At Sojourn last Sunday we sang a new song during worship simply titled "Psalm 126."  This was one of those moments when I felt like God was speaking directly to me through the words of the Psalm.

When the Lord brought back the captives to Zion,
we were like men who  dreamed.
Our mouths were filled with laughter,
our tongues with songs of joy.
Then it was said among the nations
"The Lord has done great things for you."
The Lord has done great things for us,
and we are filled with joy.

Restore our fortunes, O Lord,
like streams in the Negev.
Those who sow in tears
will reap with songs of joy.
He who goes out weeping,
carrying seed to sow,
will return with songs of joy,
carrying sheaves with him.

When I went back to my Bible to re-read this Psalm after church I realized I'd had most of it highlighted, but I had never thought of it in such personal terms.  I always wondered why the people were going out with tears and weeping.  Isn't it always pure joy to serve God?  How can they be crying when doing God's will?  I think now I have a better appreciation for what the Psalm writer meant.  Yes, there is joy in obeying God, but that road isn't always easy.  Thankfully I am reminded that those who sow weeping will go out with songs of joy.  As we go out as missionaries we will experience trials and hardships, but sowing the Word of God will bring a great harvest for the Kingdom.  It is not for our own glory that we sow but so that the nations might say, "The Lord had done great things for us."  There is an eternal significance in following God's calling!

My prayer right now is that I would set my eyes so firmly on Jesus that all worldly things would become dim; that I would be so focused on sharing the love of God that material comforts would be of little value.  And I pray that God would continually speak to me and remind me of the wonderful plan of redemption he has for his people and the great joy and reward we will experience for walking in that plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment