Saturday, January 12, 2013

Holding Out for a Hero

Have you ever thought about the way trends in movies disclose a lot about our culture?  A few weeks ago Patrick and I went to see "The Hobbit," and as we watched the previews I noticed that the majority of the movies coming out are of the superhero/dystopian-future-hero-saves-the-planet variety.  What does this say about our culture?  If our bent toward hero worship is any indication I think it's clear: we need a real life hero.

I get the sense that many people living in difficult circumstances are holding onto the hope that someday things will be made right; someday, someone will come along that will have the answers to all of life's questions and problems.  Someone will save us from the mess we've made for ourselves.  That's the vibe we get from pop culture, but I think it's an accurate statement about our communal mindset as well.  There's this subconscious longing for something better.

As a follower of Christ I know that our hero has already come.  We've already been given the one who has all the answers, who has the power to bring us out of desperate situations and give us a living hope.    There's a great song by one of my favorite bands, Abandon, titled "Hero."  Here's the refrain:

There He goes, a hero, a savior to the world
Here He stands with scars in His hands
With love He gave His life so we could be free
The savior the world

I love the fact that Jesus came to earth to give his life to make us free.  Isn't that what we've been longing for?  A hero to set us free from the tyranny of sin and death?  I celebrate this fact every day; that in Christ I have abundant life and reason to hope for so much more to come.  

No comments:

Post a Comment