Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Finding the New Normal

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm somewhat of a home-body.  I know you wouldn't know it by looking at the last 12 months of our lives, but I do love to be settled and put down roots.  For that reason, I love being back in Louisville on a semi-permanent basis (at least for the next 3-4 years.)  Lately we've been in the process of finding our new "normal," and so far it's been a successful process. I've started two new jobs, and Patrick is working on finding piano and oboe students.

First of all, I have to say how excited I am that after years of working toward it, I've gotten a teaching job.  I'm now a preschool teacher at Chance School, and so far I love it.  My students are fabulous, and I have a great co-teacher, whom I'm excited to be working with.  I think the rest of the school year will be a blast, and I'm looking forward to seeing what is in store for me over the next few months.
My classroom at Chance
My second job is a part-time nannying position for a family with two kids.  They are some of the sweetest, well-mannered kids I've ever worked with, and so far we've had a lot of fun together.  The kids are 10 and 14, and it's nice to have an opportunity to work with older kids for a change.  My schedule is relatively full, but not to the point where I feel overwhelmed.  

I know that just as we start to settle into a new routine everything will change again.  Patrick starts classes at the Seminary at the end of the month, so new adjustments await us then.  For now though, I've enjoyed getting to see him a lot every evening and weekend.  I'm excited for him to start school, but I know what a huge time commitment it'll be to get all of his reading done.  He might actually be reading more than me for once!

As nice as it is to be settled and feel at home, I know it would be easy for us to get too comfortable and stop seeing the needs of people around the world.  It would also be easy to be so much at home here in the US that we stop feeling God tugging at our hearts to head to the mission field.  Please be praying with us that our heart for the nations wouldn't go slack just because life is cozy and comfortable in America.  I know that God has big things in store for us in the years to come during our time in Kentucky, but even bigger things await us overseas, and there's no way we want to miss out on them!

No comments:

Post a Comment