Saturday, October 27, 2012

Africa Update


I realize it’s been awhile since I’ve written a general update on what life has been like in Zambia for the last ten weeks.  It’s amazing that our time here is already coming to a close, and in about three weeks we’ll be headed home.  Where has the time gone?

I’ve been working hard preparing lessons and working with the students in the school, and it’s been quite an experience.  I must say, teaching here has been one of the hardest things I’ve done (as far as teaching is concerned anyway).  The children are wonderful, and I’ve fallen completely in love with every single one of my students.  The challenges lie in the vast array of cultural differences, the language barriers, and the fact that the teachers here often have differing opinions about how to teach.  One of my goals being here was to help the teachers find new (and possibly more effective) ways to teach in this context.  It’s been something of an uphill battle, but God has taught me a great deal about patience, humility, and gentleness.  I really think this experience is making me a better teacher in the long run. 

One of the best parts about being in Zambia has been spending loads of time with my new friend Susanna.  It’s almost comical how much we have in common, so we’ve even started referring to ourselves as twins.  She’s also teaching in the school, and it’s been wonderful to have someone to share ideas (and frustrations) with.  We have been exercising together everyday to balance out all the starchy food we eat, and despite the crazy heat, I think we might go back to America and Finland not as out of shape as we thought.  I’m grateful to have someone I can laugh with about all of the craziness of life in Africa.
My "Finnish Twin"
 Lately we’ve visited the homes of a few missionary families to have dinner with them.  It’s been incredibly encouraging to hear about their hearts for missions and the work that God is doing through them.  Most of the team here is made up of Zambian missionaries, with only a handful of westerners who help with administrative things.  It’s the Zambians who are truly on the front lines of missions here; they are the ones going out in the villages around the lake living out a gospel-centered life; they are the ones who are truly being the hands and feet of Christ, and it’s wonderful to have a chance to get to know them better. 

Typical Zambian dinner
God is doing incredible things here in Mpulungu and around Lake Tanganyika, and Patrick and I have been so blessed to get to witness it and be a small part of it.  Somehow I have a feeling that life in the States is going to seem slightly dull in comparison!

1 comment:

  1. Beth, can I just say you are SO beautiful, and God uses your blog so often to encourage and challenge Josh and I. We're so proud of you guys and love following this journey you're on.

    Love!

    ReplyDelete