Thursday, September 6, 2012

Home Sweet Home: Zambia Edition


Anyone who knows me knows I’m something of a homebody.  Despite this fact, Patrick and I have actually spent about the same (if not more) time out of the country this year than we have at home.  I’m starting to think I need to redefine the word “home” to begin with. 

Almost as soon as we got to Mpulungu I put my nest building skills to work.  Here they have 4 flats for the long-term missionaries and 2 dorms for short-term people.  Since there are only three of us here short term (Patrick, Susanna, and me), the dorms are empty except for us.  We have our own fairly large room with lots of bunk beds against the wall.  I’m so thankful that we have a space to call our own while we’re here.  My whole mindset in coming out here was that it would be less of a visit and more like a move.

Our room is on the right.
We don’t have all the same comforts of home here, but we really have nothing to complain about.  Although life in Zambia is very different, it’s quite fun!  I have quickly gotten used to the fact that there is no AC anywhere, and that there will be spiders in the shower with me.  I’ve traded in my alarm clock for a rooster, who tends to go off way earlier than anyone actually wants to get up.  It’s now normal to sleep under mosquito netting, and I love that I have a 100% bug-free zone!  I’ve learned to do laundry in the small machine outside the flats, and then we hang clothes up to dry in the hot African sun.   We’re also getting used to the power going out on a very sporadic basis.
Home sweet home!
Our alarm clock.  His name is Rolex.
We also have a pet chameleon, which is super cool.  Awhile before we came to Africa Patrick and I looked into getting one, but they are nearly impossible to take care of.  We joked that we’d just find one in Zambia to be our pet.  Little did we know we actually would.  On our second day in Zambia we found a chameleon outside our building, and he’s been out there ever since.  We named him Maxemeleon, and he’s pretty cool!  I think it’s funny that chameleons always look so extremely grouchy.  If they were people, they would always be grumpy old men yelling at kids to get out of their yards.    
Maxemeleon the Chameleon
So yes, in case you’re wondering, Africa is starting to feel like home.  We’ve been here for a little over a week now, and it’s been packed with so many wonderful things.  I’m learning so much about how God works in people’s lives, and it’s just been incredible.  The best part is, there is so much more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment