Sunday, May 20, 2012

A Change You Can't Help but Notice

Lately I've been reading through the book of Acts, and I love reading about the ministries of the apostles, and the incredible ways that God used them through the working of the Holy Spirit.  The church was so alive, and I wish I could have been there to see it all firsthand.  There are many accounts of people who were healed and instantly began praising God, because they recognized that it was by his grace alone that they were made well.

The other day I read the story of a man who was crippled from birth.  He had to be carried every day to the temple gates so he could beg for money.  One day as Peter and John were going up to the temple they stopped at the man and looked directly at him.  I believe that they were able to see not just his physical needs but his spiritual needs as well.  (Some people just have a way of doing that don't they?)  The man expected a hand out, but what Peter gave him was much greater.  Verse 8 says, "Then Peter said, 'Silver or gold I do not have, but what I have I give you.  In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk." Taking him by the right hand, he helped him up, and instantly the man's feet and ankles became strong.  He jumped to his feet and began to walk.  Then he went with them into that temple courts, walking and jumping, and praising God."  Here's the part I really love.  Acts 3:9-10 says, "When all the people saw him walking and praising God, they recognized him as the same man who used to sit begging at the temple gate called Beautiful, and they were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him."  


Isn't this a picture of what our lives should look like?  Before we encounter Christ we are like the crippled man on the street; desperate for hope.  But then Jesus comes in and brings glory into our lives and we can walk again!  We can run and jump and dance and praise God!  Jesus changes people.  That's just how He works.  Jesus is all about coming in to people's lives and turning them upside down (for the better.)  And don't you know that people notice that kind of transformation?  There's something contagious about the joy that Christ bestows on those who put their trust in Him.

I want my life to look different because I love Jesus.  Honestly, there are plenty of times when I don't think I reflect the light of Christ the way I should.  I let the worries of the day cloud over my joy in the Lord, or I find other ways of putting my lamp under a basket.  I'm constantly praying that God would show himself to me in new ways every day, and that I would experience him afresh every morning.  And let me tell you, when I do, it's incredible!  I might not be healed physically like the man in Acts was, but the change in my heart can be just as drastic.

I really believe that our purpose on this earth is to glorify God.  We all have different ways of doing that, of course, but our purpose is the same nonetheless.  When we give our lives to Christ, we should look different...changed.  And through our transformation we can bring other people into the fold of God.  How incredible is it that God uses us to bring others into the family of believers?

No comments:

Post a Comment