Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Scandalous Love

I'm reading through the book of Isaiah these days, and I must say, I love it.  In these 66 chapters the prophet has condensed practically the whole of God's story of redemption.  This afternoon I came across a verse that struck me in its simplicity yet great depth.  Chapter 57 tells of the rejection of God by his chosen people.  They have turned from him and followed man-made gods instead.  (Not so unlike us today.)  Then we get to verse 18 which reads, "I have seen his ways, but I will heal him."  It's short enough that you might read right over it without stopping to feel the weight of what it said here.  In this chapter the Lord is calling to his people who have sinned against him to repentance.  What is so beautiful about this verse to me is the reminder that God sees everything I do, good and bad, and he still loves me.  He knows every foul thought in my mind and every careless word I speak, yet he still wants to restore me to himself!

In these nine little words God has summed up the story of salvation.  He knows the wickedness in each of us, but he offers us hope that we can be made right with him.  Here healing doesn't constitute physical healing but spiritual healing and restoration.  What an incredible picture of love we are given!  God loves with unconditional love that I still have a hard time wrapping my mind around.  It's scandalous really.  When I think about the punishment my sins deserve and how God declares me righteous because of Christ, it's nothing short of a scandal.  I think the beauty of the gospel is all the more precious as you realize how desperate you are for God and what it is exactly that he is saving you from.

Another thing that struck me about this passage is our utter dependence on God for salvation.  The ways of man lead us to attempt to save ourselves on our own.  We create idols for ourselves and set up lists of do's and don't's that we think make us acceptable for heaven.  When we compare this to the glory and majesty of the Living God we quickly see the foolishness of this.  But God has seen.  And He desires us to be right with him.  He alone is capable of making us righteous.  Praise God for his infinite mercy and love!  

No comments:

Post a Comment