Monday, October 10, 2011

Rebel Without a Cause

 I often write about scriptural truths, and spiritual disciplines, but lest you think I have it all together, I feel I need to include moments where I fall short.  It's one thing to think on and write about the Christian life; it's another thing altogether to live it out.  We meet God in the toughest situations in life, and though my life for the most part is sweet, I've had some bitter moments recently.

I had a challenging week at school last week dealing with unruly students who just didn't want to focus or get their work done. Typical days in 1st grade include plenty of behavior issues with students who would rather sport an attitude than learn anything.  Many students tend to take education for granted, and would rather be at home playing their Playstations and watching TV than at school learning.  For a teacher this can be extremely frustrating and disheartening.  At one point this week I honestly felt like giving up.  There's only so much you can do for students who just don't care.

I had a long talk with God on the car ride home that afternoon, and I could hear Him speaking clearly to my heart.  They are just children.  They need someone to love them and guide them, and if they have no one who cares enough to teach them, they won't have a chance in the world.  Yes, they can be frustrating, but they are sinners, just like you.  They need a savior the same as you, and until they meet Him, their sin nature is what predominates in their life.  

Seeing children in rebellion is a reminder of the fact that we are sinners and are in rebellion against God.  As a teacher I understand how frustrating it is to watch my students act out, when what I want for them is for their good!  How much more so must God look upon us as we turn our faces away from His goodness?  He wants to give us life, yet we still seek the meaningless pleasures of the world.  We would rather waste our life with things that will not satisfy than experience life as He meant for us to live it.  How this must grieve Him!  James 1:17 says, "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."  Let us put aside our rebellion against Him, and turn to the Lord in submission and receive the blessing he intends for us!  I pray that rather than hide our faces from Him, we would freely give our lives to the Lord to use for His glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment