Thursday, April 12, 2012

On Pouring Out

My heart has been convicted yet again of the fact that I'm extremely selfish.  Specifically, I'm selfish with myself, and with my time.  Ha!  "My" time.  As if every moment I breathe in and out didn't belong to God in the first place.  Where have I gotten this notion that anything is truly mine, least of all time?  Yet how often I find myself not wanting to do things for other people because it might impinge on my "me time."  I'm starting to realize how very empty a life is when hoarding time is my hobby.

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the idea of being poured out.  We pour ourselves out when we take time for other people and invest our time in their lives.  We are poured out when we serve unselfishly.  We are poured out when we willingly give of ourselves with no thought of being repaid.  Jesus is the ultimate example of being poured out, because He gave his very life for us.  He gave everything so we could live the fullest life.  At the last supper with his disciples Jesus, "took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, saying, 'Drink from it all of you.  This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.'" (Matthew 26:27)  As Christ followers should we not follow his example?  Shouldn't Christians be known for giving of themselves till there's nothing left?

Perhaps it's fear that keeps us from giving of ourselves the way Christ calls us to.  Fear that if we pour out too much of ourselves for someone, there won't be anything left for the next person.  We think that by pouring out we'll eventually run dry.  Psalm 23:1 says, "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want."  Verse 5 says, "You anoint my head with oil, my cup overflows."  Ah yes, an overflowing cup.  I shall not be in want.  How often I forget this.  With God we will never run dry.  No matter how many times we pour ourselves out for others, God just keeps pouring more of Himself into us.  There's a song I love by Audrey Assad called "Blessed are the Ones."  In it is a verse that goes something like this:

Let's build a house with turned out doors
So we can share what love affords
Pour ourselves out like the wine we've been saving

What are we saving the wine for?  Why not pour ourselves out so we can reap the blessing God has for us in being filled with his grace again and again?  First Timothy 1:12-14 says, "I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me faithful, appointing me to his service.  Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief.  The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus."  In these verses Paul is saying that the love and peace of Christ was poured out on him so he could do the work of Christ.  Isn't it incredible how Jesus always equips us for whatever it is he calls us to do?

I am praying that I wouldn't be afraid to pour myself out for the sake of others, and that through the giving of myself they would see the face of Christ.  I pray that you and I would always rest on the promise that God will sustain us, and continue to fill us with his everlasting grace.  May we remember that God is always enough!


No comments:

Post a Comment